Elon Musk surpassed Amazon’s Jeff Bezos as world’s richest on Thursday after electric-automaker Tesla’s shares surged 7.9%. Musk now leads with a net worth of $194.8 billion above Bezos’s $185 billion. Here is what you need to know about Musk:
- No one has seen a more dramatic shift in net worth than Musk, who has added more than $165 billion to his fortune over the past year.
- Tesla has risen 743% in the past year on the back of consistent profits that also saw it included in the S&P 500 index in December.
- Musk’s rise has been surprising amidst statements he made in 2018 figuring the idea to take Tesla private, at $420 a share, and step down as its chairman.
- Musk has complained of being “cash poor” severally with his net worth tied in his companies’ equity, including Tesla, which pays no dividends.
- The world’s-richest person has pointed out that his wealth’s main purpose is to accelerate humanity’s evolution into a spacefaring civilization.
- Musk tweeted, “How strange,” then added, “well, back to work” after reports emerged on Thursday that he was the world’s richest.
Tesla’s stock is currently gaining. TSLA: NASDAQ is up 3.55%