Tesla Inc. is now in talks with Tata Power to put up chargers for electric vehicles in India, according to Reuters.
- Talks are in the exploratory and no arrangements have been finalized so far.
- Tesla will establish electric car manufacturing operations in the southern Indian state of Karnataka. It will launch in the country this year, with plans to import and sell its Model 3 electric sedan.
- The carmaker incorporated its Indian entity Tesla Motors India and Energy Private Ltd. in Bengaluru in January.
- Tata Power said the report was “factually incorrect” but did not elaborate. It also said it is constantly exploring possible opportunities. Shares rose 5.5% to their best close in over six years since June 2014.
- Tata Motors Ltd., the car making unit of Tata Sons, last week denied any partnership with Tesla. Tata Sons, an Indian conglomerate, is the parent firm of Tata Power.