Former Google Pay executive Pankaj Gupta will head the initial operations of cryptocurrency exchange Coinbase in India, according to CoinTelegraph.
- Gupta will serve as the vice president of engineering and site lead for India. He previously served as engineering lead of Google Pay in India and Asia Pacific.
- In a blog post, Gupta said he will take charge of leading and building a technology hub in India “from scratch.”
- Gupta said the company will also explore startup acquisitions and acquihires.
- Coinbase plans to hire hundreds across all levels in engineering, product management, user experience design, research and program management within the next two years.
- The full tech hub is in line with earlier announcements of Coinbase in April to put up a physical office in Hyderabad.
- There have been rumors that India may ban cryptocurrencies, but Finance minister Nirmala Sitharaman said regulators do not want to “shut all options off.”
COIN:Nasdaq is down 0.22%