Billionaire Elon Musk indicated that Tesla Inc. might let go of its cryptocurrency holdings, prompting Bitcoin to fall to three-month lows, Bloomberg reported.
- Bitcoin tumbled below $45,000 for the first time in three months and was last trading down 7.83% to $45,315.74 at 12:34 p.m. GMT.
- Musk seemingly agreed with a Twitter post of a user with the handle @CryptoWhale saying that Bitcoin could dump its holdings in the next quarter.
- “Bitcoiners are going to slap themselves when they find out Tesla dumped the rest of their Bitcoin holdings. With the amount of hate Musk is getting, I wouldn’t blame him,” the tweet read.
Indeed— Elon Musk (@elonmusk) May 16, 2021
- Musk responded with a one-word tweet — “Indeed” but in a follow-up, said Tesla has yet to let go of any Bitcoin.
To clarify speculation, Tesla has not sold any Bitcoin— Elon Musk (@elonmusk) May 17, 2021
- Tesla earlier accepted Bitcoin for its electric cars but later backtracked, citing the environmental impact of mining activities.
TSLA: Nasdaq is down 2.19% premarket.