Moderna has completed a case accrual for the first interim analysis of the Phase 3 study of its COVID-19 vaccine candidate, according to the company’s press release. The company expects the first interim analysis to include more than 53 cases after seeing a significant increase in case identification rate across sites in the last week.
- The interim case analysis will be submitted to the Data Safety Monitoring Board (DSMB) for analysis and recommendation.
- Moderna’s Phase 3 study was designed in collaboration with the FDA and NIH to evaluate Americans at the highest risk of severe COVID-19 disease.
- More than 7,000 Americans over the age of 65 and another 5,000 under the age of 65 but have high-risk chronic diseases were included in the Phase 3 study.
- More than 11,000 participants from communities of color were included in the Moderna study.
- Moderna’s announcement comes after Pfizer and BioNTech announced their vaccine candidate has 90% efficacy against the coronavirus.
Moderna stock is currently gaining. MRNA: NASDAQ is up on premarket 3.59%