Microsoft Corp. is creating its own metaverse and it will have PowerPoint and Excel.
- The company is adapting its signature software products to develop a more corporate version of the metaverse, a concept that will allow users to live, work and play within interconnected virtual worlds.
- The first offering, a version of Microsoft’s Teams chat and conferencing program, is in testing now and will be out in the first half of 2022.
- Customers will be able to share Office files and features, like PowerPoint decks, in the virtual setting.
- In an interview on Bloomberg Television, Microsoft Chief Executive Officer Satya Nadella stated that the pandemic has made commercial use cases more mainstream.
- Nadella further stated he has used the technology to visit a Covid-19 ward in a U.K. hospital, a Toyota manufacturing facility and even the international space station.
The public perception of the metaverse as a futuristic world whereby users can recreate their lives online is still low. But the business uses are commencing to be available now. MSFT up +0.43% Pre-market trading.