Elon Musk’s net worth soared by $7.2 billion to $127.9 billion after a surge in Tesla’s shares on Monday, overtaking Bill Gates’s $127.7 billion net worth, according to Bloomberg. Musk has added $100.3 billion to his net worth this year, more than anyone on Bloomberg Billionaires Index, becoming the second richest person, up from January’s 35th ranking.
- Musk’s net worth comprises about three-quarters of Tesla’s shares, which are valued more than four times as much as his stake in Space Exploration Technologies Corp. or SpaceX.
- The number one spot of the world’s richest is held by Amazon’s Jeff Bezos, who has a total net worth of $182 billion.
- Bill Gates held the number one spot as the world’s richest until in 2007 when he was overtaken by Bezos.
- Gates ranking would have been higher had he not been so philanthropic, having given more than $27 billion to his foundation since 2006.
- This year, the members of the Bloomberg index, comprising 500 richest people in the world, have gained 23% or $1.3 trillion.
Fig: Top 10 World’s Richest People