A piece by digital artist Mike Winkelmann, popularly known as Beeple, was sold for $6.6 million at the secondary market, according to art platform Nifty Gateway.
- The sale was announced on February 25. It was made to an anonymous buyer in close contact with Nifty’s art buying services which confirmed legitimacy and brokered the deal.
- “CROSSROADS” was first sold in a Nifty Gateway sale in November 2020 with two different pieces called “Biden win” and Trump win.”
- The piece is now the most expensive non-fungible token (NFT) after surpassing Beeple’s “THE COMPLETE MF COLLECTION” which was sold at $777,777.77.
- Christie’s to auction more Beeple works for “EVERYDAYS: THE FIRST 5000 DAYS” until March 11, with Ethereum payments accepted.
- Nifty also scheduled to release more digital art with pop musician Claire Boucher a.k.a Grimes set to drop NFTs.