The U.S Congress on Thursday approved states’ Electoral College results affirming Democrat Joe Biden’s victory, reports SCMP. A marathon sitting had to be convened after chaotic protests by Trump supporters who stormed the Capitol building on Wednesday in which four people died.
- Republican protests came hours after Mike Pence said he would not flout his constitutional obligations and reject Electoral College votes during Congress’ certification of the presidential election result.
- Trump criticized Pence for not doing enough to protect the country and constitution by allowing states to certify results, which he claims Biden invalidly won.
- Following the protests, police placed the Capitol building under lockdown while the lawmakers were instructed to prepare gas masks following an indoor deployment of tear gas.
- Legislators including Senator Mitt Romney, a Republican from Utah, blamed Trump for the protests.
- Youtube, Facebook, and Twitter deleted Trump’s election disapproval video, citing false claims and concerns it could ignite violence.
- Some Republicans have backed Trump’s claims while others state they will not vote to reject any of the results while the House flipped to Democrats control after twin Georgia wins.
U.S stocks and the dollar are currently gaining. SPY is up 0.47% on premarket, QQQ: NASDAQ is up 0.48% on premarket, EURUSD is down 0.45%