Phase 3 human trials of a Chinese vaccine from Sinopharm CNBG in the United Arab Emirates (UAE) have shown efficacy rates of 86% with no serious safety concerns, according to CNBC. The trials also show the vaccine has a 99% seroconversion rate of neutralizing antibody and 100% effective in preventing moderate and severe cases of the disease.
- The announcement by the UAE health authorities is a vote of confidence in the safety and efficacy of the Sinopharm vaccine.
- The Phase 2 trials included 31,000 volunteers of 125 nationalities in the UAE’s diverse population.
- The volunteers were aged 18 to 60 years and took two doses of the vaccine after 28 days, although the announcement did not mention any side effects experienced by patients.
- UAE began Phase 3 human trials of the experimental vaccine in July, and in September, approved its emergency use for health workers.
- In early November, Dubai ruler Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid al Maktoum reported having received the trial vaccine, shortly after the UAE’s Minister of Foreign Affairs Sheikh Abdullah bin Zayed al Nahyan received it.
China stocks are mixed. SHA: 000001 is down 1.12%, HSI is up 0.75%.